LSAT—IndiaTM is a standardised test of reading and verbal reasoning skills designed by the Law School Admission Council, incorporated under the laws of the United States of America (“LSAC ®”), for use by law schools in India, as an evaluation method for admitting students for degrees in legal education (“LSAT—IndiaTM”).
LSAG India LLP (“Sponsor”)is the Sponsor of the LSAT—IndiaTM Scholarship (also called “Topper Scholarship”). The Sponsor, in furtherance of its endeavors for the development of legal education in India, and to incentivise meritorious students intending to pursue legal education in India, is offering a scholarship to the test taker with the highest reported score on the LSAT—IndiaTM for the year 2020(the “Scholarship”). The Scholarship will be granted to the test taker scoring the highest mark (the “Candidate”) in accordance with the Terms and Conditions (defined below). In the event that two, or more than two, test takers score the highest marks on the LSAT—IndiaTM, then the Sponsor shall conduct a random draw amongst the tied test takers to grant the Scholarship to one Candidate.
In the event that the Candidate does not fulfil the criteria set out in the terms and conditions of the LSAT—IndiaTM Scholarship (“Terms and Conditions”), or does not accept the Scholarship in accordance with the Terms and Conditions, the Sponsor shall have the right and sole discretion to award the Scholarship to the test taker with the next highest score on the LSAT—IndiaTM or by a random draw in case of a tie amongst the test takers with the highest score.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
1. Eligibility Criteria & Grant
- The Candidate shall have taken LSAT—IndiaTM for the year pertaining to which the Scholarship is being awarded.
- The Candidate shall be an Indian citizen.
- The Candidate shall have successfully completed the senior secondary school or 10 + 2 equivalent exam from an educational board duly recognised in India.
- The Candidate shall be eligible for admission into and shall undertake that she/ he shall be admitted to a fulltime 5 (five) year law programme, commencing in the year 2020 at an LSAC Global Law Alliance College that accepts the LSAT—IndiaTM test score (the “Programme”). “LSAC Global Law Alliance College(s)” shall mean the institutes and colleges set out in Annexure A hereto that accept the LSAT—IndiaTM test scores for admission to law programmes.
- That Candidate shall not receive a scholarship from any other source for the first year of the law programme.
- The Scholarship will be granted in accordance with these Terms and Conditions to the Candidate scoring the highest marks in LSAT—IndiaTM in the year pertaining to which the Scholarship is being awarded. In the event that two, or more than two, test takers score the highest marks on the LSAT—IndiaTM, then the Sponsor shall conduct a random draw amongst the tied test takers to grant the Scholarship to one Candidate.
2. Scholarship Acceptance
- The Candidate will receive a scholarship offer containing the details of the Scholarship. The Candidate shall be required to communicate her/his acceptance of the Scholarship within 30 days from the date of the scholarship offer, along with the list of documents set out in Annexure B, failing which the Scholarship shall be forfeited.
- By accepting the Scholarship, the Candidate undertakes that she/he will adhere to these Terms and Conditions and the rules of the LSAC Global Law Alliance College in which she/he takes admission.
3. Scholarship Amount and Mode of Payment
- The Candidate shall be eligible to receive a maximum amount of ₹4,00,000 (Indian Rupees Four Lakh) as scholarship award (“Scholarship Amount”) which shall be utilised in the following manner:
- to cover the annual tuition fees, basic hostel fees and library fees (“Fee”) for the first year of the Programme.
- any unutilised amount from the first year of the Programme can be carried forward to the subsequent years, subject to completion of the retention criteria specified in paragraph 4 (Continuation of the Scholarship).
- For the avoidance of doubt, it is clarified that the Scholarship Amount is not an annual amount and is instead the aggregate amount which would be paid to or on behalf of the Candidate and that the Sponsor will not be liable to pay any amounts exceeding the Scholarship Amount in any manner whatsoever.
- In the event that the fees for the Programme exceeds the Scholarship Amount, the balance amount shall be borne solely by the Candidate.
- The Candidate shall solely be liable to bear any non-tuition fee items which may be required for the Programme, such as books or other study materials. Further, any accommodation expense apart from the basic hostel fees shall also be borne by the Candidate.
- The Scholarship Amount will not include any security deposit/ admission acceptance deposit amount payable to the LSAC Global Law Alliance College.
- In the event that the fees for the Programme are payable semester or trimester wise, then the Scholarship Amount would be equally divided per semester or trimester (as the case may be).
- The award of Scholarship shall be subject to the Candidate entering into an agreement with the Sponsor or a person nominated by the Sponsor and/or sign such documents and declarations as may be required by the Sponsor.
4. Continuation of the Scholarship
- In the event there is any unutilised Scholarship amount from the first year of the Programme, the Scholarship shall continue for the subsequent year, provided the Candidate shall have:
- passed in all subjects and shall have secured an overall cumulative score in the top 5% (five percent) of his/her batch in the first year of the Programme;
- maintained full-time enrolment during each semester of the first year of the Programme, with at least 75% (seventy-five percent) attendance, or the minimum attendance prescribed by the Bar Council of India or the LSAC Global Law Alliance College, if higher than 75% (seventy-five percent);
- not been penalised for any act of indiscipline by the LSAC Global Law Alliance College, and no disciplinary action must be pending against the Candidate; and
- attended all events and outreach programmes to which the Candidate was invited to by LSAC ® or the Sponsor.
- Before the commencement of the second year of the Programme, the Candidate shall submit to the Sponsor a letter from the concerned department of the LSAC Global Law Alliance College, certifying the fulfilment of the requirements mentioned in paragraph 4.1.1 to 4.1.3 above by the Candidate.
- In the event that the Candidate fails to submit the letter from the LSAC Global Law Alliance College as stated in paragraph 4.2 above, the Sponsor shall terminate the Scholarship, and the Candidate shall be liable to pay the fees for the Programme from second year onwards.
5. Termination of Scholarship
- The Scholarship shall be terminated in the event that:
- the Candidate withdraws her / his admission from the Programme at any point subsequent to the award of the Scholarship;
- any non-compliance by the Candidate with respect to the rules of the LSAC Global Law Alliance College or with respect to these Terms and Conditions;
- in the event that the Sponsor discovers that the Candidate provided incorrect, false or misleading information or documents to the Sponsor;
- In the event that the Scholarship is terminated, then the Sponsor shall have the right to ask for repayment and the Candidate agrees that she / he will repay the Sponsor with the entire Scholarship Amount transferred by the Sponsor to the LSAC Global Law Alliance College, or such part of the Scholarship Amount claimed by the Sponsor from the Candidate.
- All Taxes payable in relation to the Scholarship Amount shall be borne by the Candidate, the Sponsor shall be entitled to deduct or withhold applicable Taxes in accordance with applicable law. In the event that any Tax is deducted or withheld by the Sponsor, the Sponsor shall provide such Tax deduction certificate to the Candidate to enable the Candidate to avail Tax credit.
- For the purposes of this paragraph, “Tax” or “Taxation” means all forms of tax, royalty, duty, rate, levy, cess or other similar imposition whenever and by whatever authority in any country imposed, including but not limited to income tax and goods and service tax and any interest, penalty or fine in connection with any such taxation; and any reference to Taxation shall include amounts which represent or are equivalent to or are deemed to be Taxation.
- Any dispute relating to the Scholarship, and / or the Terms and Conditions, including the interpretation thereto, shall be decided solely by the Sponsor.
- The decision of the Sponsor in relation to the Scholarship and / or the Terms and Conditions will be final and binding.
8. Governing Law
The Scholarship and these Terms and Conditions shall be governed by and interpreted in accordance with the law of India. The courts of New Delhi shall have exclusive jurisdiction on any disputes arising out of these Terms and Conditions.
Annexure A – List of LSAC Global Law Alliance Colleges
- OP Jindal Global University
- JLU School of Law, Jagran Lakecity University
- IFIM Law School, Bangalore
- Vijaybhoomi School of Law
- SVKM's NMIS Kirit P. Mehta School of Law
- Hindustan School of Law, Hindustan Institute of Technology and Law
- MIT-WPU Faculty of Law
- Adamas University
- VIT School of Law, VIT Chennai
- Faculty of Law, Manav Rachna University
- Bennett University (Times of India Group) II
(Please note: the list will be updated as new schools join the Alliance.)
Annexure B – List of Documents
- Your 2020 LSAT—IndiaTM test score report.
- A self-attested identity and an address proof.
- Your Permanent Account Number card.
- Your self-attested mark sheet for senior secondary school or 10 + 2 equivalent, by an educational board duly recognised in India;
- Proof of admission in a full time 5 (five) year law programme at an LSAC Global Law Alliance College;
- Contact information of financial aid office of college and bank details of the LSAC Global Law Alliance College (on the letter head of the LSAC Global Law Alliance College).
- A certificate, stating that you are not receiving, and will not receive any other scholarship from any other source, duly signed by you and your parents/ legal guardian.