Opening Doors for Students of Promise
We want the best and brightest students to fulfil their potential. To make law college accessible to everyone, LSAC Global is offering two scholarships for LSAT—IndiaTM test takers in 2020.
LSAC Global is awarding the LSAT—IndiaTM Topper Scholarship for the second consecutive year, while introducing a new opportunity, the Shamnad Basheer Access to Justice Scholarship.
Shivansh Chandra Bagadiya
2019 LSAT—India Scholar
The LSAT—IndiaTM 2020 Topper Scholarship
- Awarded to the LSAT—India test taker who achieves the highest score on the LSAT—India held on starting 19 July 2020.
- Offers up to a maximum of ₹4 lac.
- Covers tuition and halls of residence fees for the first year of the law programme, up to the maximum amount allocated.
- Any unutilised amount can be rolled over to the next year of law college.
The Shamnad Basheer
Access to Justice Essay Scholarship
Awarded to the 2020 LSAT—IndiaTM applicant who submits the winning entry in an essay competition.
Submission Deadline: 12 July 2020
Professor Shamnad Basheer
A Diversity Essay Scholarship Honouring the Memory
of Professor Shamnad Basheer
Last year, the Indian legal community lost an influential lawyer and pioneering academic—Professor Shamnad Basheer, who shaped the course of IP law and policy in India and initiated groundbreaking measures to increase diversity in the legal fraternity. Professor Basheer was the founder of Increasing Diversity by Increasing Access to Legal Education (IDIA), a nonprofit organisation that empowers underprivileged children in India by giving them access to quality legal education.
LSAC Global is honouring his memory by instating the Shamnad Basheer Access to Justice Scholarship.
The Shamnad Basheer Access to Justice Scholarship, based on an essay competition, will award up to a maximum of ₹4 lac to the student who submits the winning essay. The winning student must have registered and sat for the 2020 LSAT—IndiaTM test. The scholarship will cover tuition and halls of residence fees for the first year of a law programme at an LSAC Global Law Alliance college, up to a maximum of ₹4 lac. Any unutilised amount from the first year can be rolled over to the subsequent year.
Essay Competition Details:
What is the required topic of the essay?
The essay must address the importance of diversity in the legal profession. Write an essay in which you argue for or against the following claim, providing reasons for your position:
Claim: Having a legal professional class (lawyers, judges, etc.) characterized by diversity of gender, caste, wealth status, language, and regional identity makes for a more just legal system.
Write an essay in which you argue for or against this claim. Provide reasons for your position.
Participants can argue for or against the following claim: Having a legal professional class (lawyers, judges, etc.) characterized by diversity of gender, caste, wealth status, language, and regional identity makes for a more just legal system.
Email your entry to DiscoverLaw Scholarship@LSAC.org with “Diversity Essay” in the subject line. Include a cover page with the following information:
- title of your essay
- your full name
- your telephone number
- a valid email address
- your mailing address
Deadline, Length, and Format
The deadline for submission is Sunday, 12 July 2020. All essays must be:
- received no later than midnight (24:00 hours Indian Standard Time) on Sunday, 12 July 2020
- up to 1,200 words (or less)
- double spaced with 1-inch margins
- in Microsoft Word format in 12-point font
- saved to a file with the following naming format: [Last name], [First Name] [Underscore] [Shortened Name of Essay] (e.g., Kumar, Akshay_Right to Privacy)
Eligibility and Evaluation Criteria
A panel of legal professionals will evaluate each submission and select the winning essay. Students must:
- have registered and sat for the 2020 LSAT—IndiaTM test
- be an applicant and accepted to the 5-year LL.B. programme of an alliance law college that accepts the LSAT—India TM test scores
- submit original work (all submissions will be checked for plagiarism)
Essays will be judged on the basis of:
- Quality and clarity of content, persuasiveness, and quality of writing
- Full compliance with all competition procedures
Don’t miss the deadline!
All essays must be received
no later than midnight
(24:00 India Standard Time) 12 July 2020.
To learn more about the scholarships, see our Terms & Conditions.
Toppers Terms & Conditions
Diversity Terms & Conditions
LSAC Global is an LLP of the Law School Admission Council (LSAC).